Planning your year
Oh, but dear blog reader planning can be anything but.!
I’m not a big fan of structure for structure’s sake, or for creating a plan that will live in the top desk drawer just so I can tick a box. So, by mapping out how the year ahead will look, what results you can expect and how you will feel can get you really, really excited….
Here’s what you consider:
- Holidays: this is first priority. Schedule holidays in advance. We all need breaks. We all need rewards. We all need things to look forward to. When you know when your breaks will be throughout the year it makes all the difference. Block these out in your calendar, communicate them to clients in advance so they know and then you can plan around this. It also sends the very clear message to your soul that life is very much about fun… That’s why it’s number one.
- Peak selling periods: every industry has them. You know the cycles in the year when you need to plant the seeds, harvest and reap the rewards. Each cycle is just as important as the others, but if you do the right activity in the wrong time, you will experience pain. Segment out your year accordingly, and plan your marketing campaigns and selling campaigns.
- Markets: when do you need to go interstate or overseas? Plan it out. Be very clear about why, what you need to achieve before you leave in order to justify it and get cracking.
- Divide the year into 40 weeks of selling time. That’s really all you’ve got. Holidays aside, there are simply times throughout the year when the market uses that period to delay a purchase. In Australia, April is hell because of the phenomenon around Easter and Anzac Day. When you look at your sales target for the year and divide it by 10, what do you need to achieve in your peak months in order to enable your slower months to still make budget?
- Plan 1 key marketing activity for each 4 week block (yes, 10 marketing focuses across the year) and sales activity to support your target’s achievement.
December will be here before you know it…It will!
Plan to succeed. Whatever you focus on you will find so identify your big wins for the year, know why they’re a must for you. The how and what will take care of themselves.